7.13.2014

#Tess Is Back In Crisis Of Serenity - Sneak Peek Sunday - 010



One of my favorite characters is Tess. There’s something about her. She says what I’m too shy to say. Does what I’m too scared to do. She’s lived through a lot, but just keeps surviving and doing it with sass and style. She’s her own person. A strong independent woman. She doesn’t have to be a damsel in distress. Her journey has taken her many places. In Crisis of Serenity the follow up book to Crisis of Identity, the government’s witness protection program takes her to Gatlinburg, Tennessee...or has it?

I enjoyed writing Crisis of Serenity and having the opportunity to finish Tess’ story. The book is set for release mid-July 2014, but until then I’ll be sharing sneak peeks on this blog every Sunday until release day. So here’s sneak peek number ten. Enjoy!


If you’d like to read sneak peek number one, here’s the link.
If you’d like to read sneak peek number two, here’s the link.
If you’d like to read sneak peek number three, here’s the link.
If you’d like to read sneak peek number four, here’s the link.
If you’d like to read sneak peek number five, here’s the link.
If you’d like to read sneak peek number six, here’s the link.
If you’d like to read sneak peek number seven, here’s the link.
If you’d like to read sneak peek number eight, here’s the link.
If you’d like to read sneak peek number nine, here’s the link.

“Shhh, baby. Hush now. Aunt Tess is getting breakfast.” I lifted the squalling toddler from the crib and hefted the child onto my hip. Joyce laid her head on my shoulder and slipped her thumb into her mouth. I had to hurry. Her built-in pacifier wouldn’t silence her for long.

Just as I reached for an applesauce cup, the landline jangled on the counter. I shifted Joyce to my other hip, reached for the phone, and pushed the receiver under my chin, answering the summons before I thought better of it. The night before I had just let it ring.

“Hello.”

For a moment there was only muffled noise on the line, bumping, clanking, and freakishly frantic cursing. I feared Iverson had found me and almost slammed the receiver back onto the base, but then I heard my boss’ voice rumbling in the background as she barked an order, probably to her fry cook.
Helen burst onto the line. “Tess, are you alright? Is something wrong? Are you in trouble?” Her voice was unusually scratchy this morning.

“I’m so sorry. I don’t know what happened. I must have forgotten to set my alarm last night. I’ll be in as soon as I can feed Joyce and take her across the street—”

“Hold up, Tess. You don’t have to come to work today.”

My heart sputtered and almost died. Was she firing me? “Please, Helen, I can’t afford to lose this job—”

“Sweetie, calm down. You’re not on the schedule to work today. It’s your day off, remember?” Helen’s tone held no hint of reprimand.

I relaxed and let go of the breath I held. “Oh, of course.” That’s why I hadn’t set an alarm. “Why are you calling then?” An awful dread settled in the pit of my stomach.

“There’s a man in the restaurant asking about you. He seems to know you, but acts like he doesn’t know where you live or even if you’re still in town.” Curiosity resonated in Helen’s statements, making them sound more like questions than simply relaying information.

“What’s his name?” I pulled the foil cover off the applesauce, set the cup on the counter, and dredged a spoon out of a nearby drawer. Joyce must have seen the spoon, because she wailed again. I placed my hand over her mouth, but Joyce wiggled from under my palm and resumed her incessant bawling. I had to give the child some cred. The kid had lungs.


Did you read, Crisis of Identity, the first book in the series? If you haven't, here are the purchase links.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comments. I love hearing from my readers and appreciate the feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...