4.14.2014

Please Don't Break My #Heart Again

Click on image to go to purchase link. Pretty please! :)

Please don’t break my heart again. How many times have you heard that line in a movie or read it in a novel. Cliché? Maybe. But it’s a familiar sentiment, and maybe that’s why clichés become clichés. Because the circumstance exists often enough in real life that it becomes common. No one wants to have his or her heart broken. It’s just not fun.

When it comes to romantic suspense, it’s all about the heart. The heroine and hero put their heart into overcoming the odds, the danger, and the conflict to love each other...by the end of the book. So if the hero or heroine says, “Please don’t break my heart again,” don’t be surprised. One or the other of them, or both, have already had their hearts broken before the action even begins. Damaged people are more fascinating to read about than pristine, never-been-touched-by-the-hard-things-in-life characters. The great thing about good fiction is that it makes you believe those hard things in life can happen to someone...even if sometimes they can’t or won’t or don’t.

That reminds me of one of the best comments I have ever received in a review. From Brenda Youngerman on Amazon reviewing Deceptions Of the Heart, “There is a fuzzy line between good and evil here and Denise does a wonderful job of weaving the tale in such a way that when the book is finished you have to ask yourself... ‘Could that really happen?’ ”

Anson tells Jennifer/Rhonda (sometimes I call her Rhennifer) not to break his heart again. Here’s the scene from the book:

He turned me to him, searched my soul—the same intense scrutiny that tore my heart from my chest the previous night. He didn’t know what I would have done to gain his affection. I would have dug into my chest and yanked my unreliable, deceptive heart out if it pleased him.

“You’re telling the truth, aren’t you?” he asked. I couldn’t make my mouth form a reply. “Don’t break my heart again.” A declaration. A warning. A sweet confession of his feelings.

“There are things in our past that keep coming back to us. The only thing I can promise is I don’t want to hurt you again.”

He wrapped his hands around my wrists and I wondered if I’d said the wrong thing once again. He pulled me to him. “I guess that will have to be enough,” he whispered, his mouth brushing mine. His arms tightened around me and I melted into him. “I can’t stick to our deal.”

His words surprised me. “What do you mean?” I stammered.

“I can’t pretend anymore. I thought I could have this platonic sort of thing, but it’s not working.”

“What do you want from me?” I whispered, my heart thudding with all the desire I’d denied. Now that I was attempting to be someone better than both Rhonda and Jennifer, I knew without a doubt I needed Anson to want me.

“I want you to be my wife.” The hope that washed across his face clutched at my heart.

I offered a tentative smile and placed my hand on his cheek. This time he didn’t brush my simple gesture of affection away. “Then we want the same thing.”

I hope you enjoyed this snippet from Deceptions Of the Heart. It’s on SALE until April 24, 2014 for 99¢ at http://amzn.com/B00D0TAZ12.


2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy these kinds of books. Damaged lead characters are interesting to follow to find redemption.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I'm not satisfied with perfect characters.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. I love hearing from my readers and appreciate the feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...