5.26.2013

#WeWriWa #8Sunday Weekend Writing Warrior 05.26.13

It's a Sunday thing...



Each Sunday, Weekend Writing Warriors hosts a fun new meme. If you would like to participate, link to the list at http://www.wewriwa.com/ and post eight sentences from a published or unpublished work to your blog on Sunday. Follow the same link on Sunday to read excerpts from other authors.

My eight for this week comes from Deceptions of the Heart, soon to be released by The Wild Rose Press.



Here's the set up...

Rhonda has just awoke in a room she doesn't recognize. A man who isn't her husband has just come out of the bathroom and started dressing in front of her. While she pretends to sleep, she watches him. She doesn't know if she's been kidnapped or what's going on. But it doesn't make sense that she's been kidnapped, because the room she wakes up in is very luxurious. When the man leaves, she crawls out of bed and begins trying to absorb her surroundings, trying to understand how she got into such a strange situation. This is what happens when she doesn't recognize the lingerie she is wearing.


Hysteria insinuated its warped fingers into the convoluted whorls and ridges of my psyche. Tears welled in the corners of my eyes, but I swiped them away. I clawed at the flimsy lingerie that threatened to slip from my shoulders as if it was eating my skin, pulled the top over my head and threw the offending garment on the floor, leaving my upper body exposed. My eyes traveled down my torso. A rough trail dissected the middle of my chest, right between the ribs. I stared at the oddity, fascinated, horrified, and perplexed. My nail traced the scar. The surgery was months, maybe years, old.

Here's the blurb....

What would you do if one morning you awoke in someone else’s body?

 Surviving as Jennifer Cristobal isn’t easy for Rhonda Prentiss. Three years ago, a sudden, fatal trauma stripped Rhonda of her middle-class, stay-at-home-mom existence. A brand new shock prompts Rhonda’s essence to invade Jennifer’s soul, suppressing the other woman’s memories and replacing them with her own. When Jennifer’s heart transplant surgeon, Dr. Crane, can’t—or won’t—help her understand her unusual body-swapping dilemma, she turns to the only man she can trust. But can she fully trust Jennifer’s husband, Anson? Rhonda’s memory proves faulty—and sugarcoated. Multiple threats from her past shake her fragile hold on mental stability. If one of her enemies succeeds, he will kill Rhonda’s soul… or Jennifer’s body… or both.

15 comments:

  1. Terrific Lyrical description- unique too. Thank you for sharing!
    ~Summer
    My Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you captured her hysteria. Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you picked up on the hysteria. Exactly what I was trying to convey. Thanks for stopping by, Jess!

      Delete
  3. Good description and mood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very intense, her distress was affecting me for sure. Quite a premise, excellent excerpt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If the distress affected you, then I feel like conveyed the mood. Thanks for stopping by, Veronica!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job conveying her disgust with her garment and her confusion. Great premise for a story. I'll be following this one.
    History Sleuth's Writing mysteries

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic premise, Denise! I need to read this one! :-) Great 8. Full of questions and that's a good thing. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. I love hearing from my readers and appreciate the feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...