4.06.2013

The Only Constant is Change


Who said it? The only constant in life is change. Okay, I Googled it. My paraphrase is a variation on a quote by Heraclitus, a philosopher who lived a bazillion years ago. He was right. I’ve lived long enough to understand the validity of his assertion.

Photo in Public Domain courtesy of Wiki Commons.


It seems after being in a happy state of equilibrium for nearly three decades my life has been in transition for several years now. First, I lost my father a few years ago. When I was young, he seemed like such a permanent fixture. Sometimes he was more in my life than I wanted. Now, I wish he was here to interfere. Funny, how time and change can change your perspective.

My husband had been with the same employer forever. The company made noises for years about closing the location where he worked. We didn’t even know if he’d be employed long enough to make it to retirement. He was so close. We didn’t know if he’d be able to find another job at his age. Another major change took place—transitioning from living under the shadow of his former employer for thirty years to my husband being both retired and employed with another company at the same time. That transition kept us in limbo for several years. I’m glad we are on the other side of that big change.

When I was young, I got a degree in accounting. I’ve always said I learned accounting as a skill to make some money so I could support my creative habits. My habits morphed into my passion. For several years, I was an accountant by day and a writer of romantic suspense by night. One of the happiest days of my life was signing my first publishing contract. But change has stirred the constants in this area of my life as well. An even larger publisher acquired my first publisher. During that transition, my life was in turmoil for a week or so until my status was settled with the new publisher. Now, I can happily say I’ve signed three publishing contracts with The Wild Rose Press and I am looking forward to my association with them.



Two weeks ago, I gave notice to my employer. Yesterday was my last day as an accountant. I’ve wanted to disappear from the workforce for several years so I could write full time. Over the years, it has been difficult dividing my energies between what I felt I had to do and what I felt compelled to do. Circumstances have allowed me the opportunity and given me the motivation to give being a stay at home writer my best effort.

Not all the changes in my life over the last few years have given me cause to happy dance, but life has a way of working around to the inevitable, so that I’ve settled into another state of equilibrium. I think Heraclitus is right. The only constant in life is change…and maybe that’s a good thing. It keeps life from becoming stale and boring. My life certainly hasn’t been boring, and I’ve learned not to expect my happy equilibrium to remain that way forever.

2 comments:

Thank you for leaving your comments. I love hearing from my readers and appreciate the feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...