3.16.2013

Weekend Writing Warrior -#8sunday excerpt - Crisis of Identity 03.17.13

It's a Sunday Thing...


Each Sunday, Weekend Writing Warriors at hosts a fun new meme. Link to their list at http://www.wewriwa.com/ and post eight sentences from a published or unpublished work to your blog on Sunday.



This scene is from my full-length book, Crisis of Identity. I love this scene because it shows the reader the heroine's creative skills in problem solving. After all, necessity is the mother of a good con. The authorities had asked everyone who intended to ride out Hurricane Irving to write their social security number on their arm in permanent marker. Tess survived the storm—without writing her number on her arm—and was “volunteered” by a local cop to help with the makeshift morgue. That’s when she spotted Shelby, whose social security number was written on her arm… and she didn’t survive the storm.

So here are my eight sentences...

My breath hitched. Her Social Security number was so nearly like mine. I scanned the gym. Jake, the one man who might care if she became me or I became her, was absent. With a few strokes of the pen, I could die and live again.

My heart pounded with the possibility I might get a chance to start over without the baggage of my past dragging me down. I changed her identity with a few swipes of a permanent marker. The number went onto my log with an unshaken hand, and I was free to escape the woman I used to be…the woman I didn’t want to be any longer.

Hope you enjoyed this snippet! Crisis of Identity can be purchased at the following sites...


21 comments:

  1. Very cool. The premise of the book looks really neat. Epub bought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so good, Denise. Temptation and need! Wonderful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Linden, I love this! Great snippet and set up! Whoot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an intense snippet, Denise. You grabbed me the heart, then added intrigue. I'm really wondering who she is that she feels stealing a dead woman's identity is the only answer. Excellent snippet. This just went on my TBR pile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tension on every page. Wow! Makes me want to read more. I want to know why she wants to change who she was from the past. Great job. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great premise! Loved the tension in this snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome 8! I remember this part and LOVE it! I am almost done with this awesome read and will be getting a review up for you shortly my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love her solution, and it's totally believable. Really enjoyed this snippet and look forward to reading more!

    ~Joyce Scarbrough

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the snippet. Thank you for sharing.
    ~Summer
    My 8

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't help but thinks this is going to come back and bite her on her a** bigtime. Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great way to set up a conflict. Terrific snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, she's a cool character and the excerpt just leaves me with so many questions and NEEDING to know more! Terrific snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this snippet. What an excellent (dark) way to start a new life -- I've got it on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Something tells me it's not going to be that simple. Her own death, sure. But taking another person's identity? That could have major complications of a varied and interesting nature.

    Awesome eight!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your premise. I'm going to have to add this to my to-read pile. Great snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll bet everyone has wanted to do this at one time or another.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The potential in this conflict is fascinating. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yep! A crisis of identity! Great snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow that was an excellent snippet! Love the story premise there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Okay, I am HOOKED. And I absolutely LOVE the cover, too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excellent snippet. And the possibilities of what can happen taking over someones identity when you have no clue what their life was about.. very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. I love hearing from my readers and appreciate the feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...