12.22.2011

The Gift


 
Mommy, what did Santa bring me?
Mommy, give it to me now.
Three special gifts I gave her
Wrapped with tissue, box, and bow
Trappings torn and tattered
Tossed upon the floor as if my hard work didn’t matter

From the box she pulled
Happiness and turned it side to side
Good health received a fleeting glance
Before she found her fulfilled life
Enhanced with family, faith and friends
Her cherub face dissolved in tears of disappointment.

Where is my fame and fortune?
Instant gratification?
The triple pack of self-centeredness
Selfishness and self-absorption
My heart was torn between two inclinations
To give my baby what she wants or what she really needs

After looking back on thirty years
I turn my face towards today
My daughter with her children
As she tells them what my mother told me
Dear children, these are the gifts that
Bring more than fleeting pleasure
These fundamental things bring peace, joy, and satisfaction


(c) Denise Moncrief 2011


Read more Theme Thursday at http://www.theme-thursday.com/

Read more Sunday Scribblings at http://sundayscribblings.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

  1. nice...perfect...these gifts will go much further than any others that could be given...great TT

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, wonderful... and I do love a happy ending like this one where your daughter passes to her children the gifts she came to love

    ReplyDelete
  3. I beg your forgiveness for my cutting and pasting my comment, but there was no way on Earth I would be able to make it around the whole globe to wish everybody a Merry Christmas otherwise.

    The magical elves that constitute my staff have demonstrated their lack of respect in either not showing up for work at all, or those that have all seem a little worse for wear (if you catch my drift). All they seem to do is sit around smoking cigarettes that, frankly, smell funny. In addition, they play cards and tell dirty jokes rather than do their jobs! Consequently, the reindeer are all filthy and out of shape.

    I now have my two sons pulling the sleigh, but they are struggling. I’ve been told that it’s a big ask for a three and five year old, but I made it this far with a couple of mangy chooks, an arthritic wallaby and three peculiar wombats! Unfortunately, we lost all bar one wombat over Pittsburgh (and the sole survivor is exhibiting clear signs of PTSD).

    Anyway, all the way down here at the bottom of the world (A.K.A. Tasmania), and from myself, Jen, Henry and Ezra, please have a Merry Christmas/Winter Solstice/Hanukkah/Festivus/Ashura and a happy New Year!

    I hope that all of your holiday photos turn out to be triumphs, your stocking is stuffed full of lots of tasty treats and not coal and that all your pumpkin pies/ prawn cocktails/ currywurst are all as tasty as can be!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, you made me cry a little. That was beautiful and so well written. Thank you for this. Much to think about, for sure.

    Happy TT and happy holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Denise,

    Yes, this made me cry too. Such a wonderful gift to give, a gift that keeps on giving. And may this gift continue to be passed on for many generations to come for with it will hopefully come peace and love throughout the land.

    Thanks so much for playing in this weeks Theme Thursday. I hope you enjoyed it enough to come back again and again.

    Merry Christmas.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comments. I love hearing from my readers and appreciate the feedback.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...